50 Years Ago This Week
July 1966….50 years ago this week
- Teachers in Marshall will be getting a pay raise and have a yearly salary between 5 and 9 thousand dollars.
- Battle Creek's brand new State Street Park and Shop Lot, spanning the Battle Creek River, has been unveiled, with a plaque honoring Joseph C. Grant, the downtown merchant who envisioned it 20 years ago.
- Battle Creek Teens speak out, as cruising the gut is made illegal. City Commissioners voted unanimously to adopt the infamous Ordinance 566.
- Sandy Koufax is half-way to winning 30 games in a season. The Dodger Ace is 15 and 3 with a 1.51 ERA.
- Young Denny McLain of the Tigers has been named to the all-star team with a 12 and 4 record.
- Mickey Mantle left off the All-Star team? That's right...for the first time in 16 years.
- The Tigers are in second place, 8 games behind first-place Baltimore.
In the Stores…..
- At the Michigan Theater: “The Russians are Coming the Russians are Coming.”
- At the Auto Drive In: “Munster Go Home” and “Pinocchio in Outer Space.”
- At the West Point Drive-In...”Frankenstein Conquers the World” and “Tarzan and the Valley of Gold.”
- At the Bijou...Doris Day in “The Glass Bottom Boat”.
- The Barn Theater is showing Funny Girl starring Karen Jensen.
Tuesday Night TV