Battle Creek Firefighters Sent To Hospital After Downtown Fire
Five Battle Creek Firefighters had to be taken to the hospital after they were exposed to potentially hazardous materials from a transformer.
The City of Battle Creek Fire Department says Tuesday morning that firefighters responded to the LynnIvan Salon on W. Michigan Ave. around 2:45pm Monday, March 6, and found a utility pole that broke and fell onto the roof of the building. The transformer then caught fire, causing damage to the roof of the business.
Firefighters entered the business, and began removing the ceiling to facilitate extinguishing the flames. In the process, oil from the transformer began flowing down from the transformer onto the firefighters below. As a result, those 5 crewmembers were taken to Bronson Battle Creek for decontamination.
Around $15,000 in damage was done to the business, with most of the interior only seeing minimal smoke damage. 3 vehicles had power lines fall onto them, and the value of that damage is unknown.
It's not clear how the power pole broke, but Consumers Energy is working to fix the damage.