Battle Creek’s Station No. 3 Closed For Asbestos Removal
A fire station in Battle Creek will be closed this week after asbestos was uncovered during renovations.
The City says that crews were installing a new heating and cooling system last week at the Fire Station #3 on Cliff St, when asbestos dust was stirred up after a hole was punched in the ceiling. The installers and station crew were exposed to the potentially harmful material, so work will begin Monday to clean up the building, with the station expected to open at the end of the week.
Testing will be carried out once work is finished to determine air quality and safety. For now, the Post Franklin neighborhood will be served by a Battle Creek Fire Department crew working out of the previously closed Fire Station #1 on Michigan Ave.
BONUS VIDEO: The Fire Hub In Battle Creek Is Now Open!