Kellogg Community College Softball Rolls On To Post Season
The Kellogg Community College softball team continued its record-breaking season last weekend by securing the program's first state championship in College history.
According to a press release from Kellogg Community College, the Bruins entered Saturday's Michigan Community College Athletic Association Softball Tournament as the MCCAA Western Conference Champions and left as the No. 1 team overall in the state after besting Eastern Conference Champion Macomb Community College 5-2. Earlier in the day, the Bruins defeated Eastern Conference Runner-Up Oakland Community College 2-0 in a semi-final.
The latest successes for the team, under the leadership of first-year KCC head coach Darrick Brown, pictured at right, build on accomplishments from what has become a storied season for KCC softball. Last month the team broke the KCC softball record for wins in a single season, then clinched the conference championship, another first for the program; the team has been ranked among the top 20 in the nation since April 22 in the National Junior College Athletic Association's latest Division II softball polls.
The KCC softball team's postseason play will continue tomorrow, Wednesday, May 6, through Friday, May 8, as part of the NJCAA's 2015 Division II Softball District I Championship, held at Abbott Park in East Lansing. The Bruins will take the field beginning at 4 p.m. May 6 in Game 3 of the tournament, playing the winner of Game 1.
Wednesday, May 6
- Game 1: Sinclair vs. Lansing, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 2: Muskegon vs. KVCC, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 3: Winner of Game 1 vs. KCC, Field 4, 4 p.m.
- Game 4: Winner of Game 2 vs. Owens, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Thursday, May 7
- Game 5: Loser of Game 2 vs. Loser of Game 3, Field 4, noon
- Game 6: Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 4, Field 3, noon
- Game 7: Winner of Game 3 vs. Winner of Game 4, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 8: Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 9: Winner of Game 8 vs. Loser of Game 7, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Friday, May 8
- Game 10: Winner of Game 7 vs. Winner of Game 9, Field 3, 10 a.m.
- Game 11: Winner of Game 10 vs. Loser of Game 10, Field 3, noon (if necessary)
For a 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball District I Championship bracket, visit www.mccaa.org/d/2014-15/Brackets/15distisbtourn.pdf.
If KCC wins the District Championship, the team will qualify for the 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball National Championship, to be held May 13 through 16 in Clinton, Miss.