Tigers’ Roster Not Set
The Tigers head North for Opening Day with the Twins on Monday, and as of Friday morning they still had one spot open on the roster.
Relievers Ian Krol and Angel Nesbitt survived the final round of cuts, but left-handers Kyle Ryan and Blaine Hardy did not. Those two will pitch for the Toledo Mud Hens. The Tigers also assigned infielder Josh Wilson to minor league camp.
Justin Verlander and Bruce Rondon will start the season on the disabled list. Once Rondon comes off, he’ll probably head to Toledo, at least for a while.
So who gets that last spot? Reports say it’ll probably just be someone with lots of options from minor league camp. They’ll probably wait to see how Verlander’s arm feels as he throws on the sidelines before making that decision.
Some are wondering if Dombrowski and Ausmus have their eye on a veteran who may be cut by another team in the next two days Jose Valverde just became available. Just kidding. Well, actually, he did just become available, but don’t count on Papa Grande returning to Detroit.
Maybe there’s a trade in the works. If it’s a veteran for the 25th spot, then Nesbitt will probably go to Toledo when Verlander returns. Nesbitt, a 24-year old from Venezuela, has pitched well this spring, but has never pitched above Double-A.
Here are the 24 players who remain in big-league camp, not counting Verlander and Rondon:
- Bullpen: Joe Nathan, Joakim Soria, Al Alburquerque, Joba Chamberlain, Angel Nesbitt, Tom Gorzelanny Ian Krol
- Starting rotation: David Price, Anibal Sanchez, Alfredo Simon, Shane Greene
- Designated hitter: Victor Martinez
- Catchers: Alex Avila, James McCann
- Infielders: Miguel Cabrera, Ian Kinsler, Jose Iglesias, Nick Castellanos
- Outfielders: Yoenis Cespedes, J.D. Martinez, Anthony Gose, Rajai Davis
- Utility: Andrew Romine, Hernan Perez.