Cause Of Village Inn Apartment Fire Believed to be Drug Related
Both the Battle Creek Fire Department and Battle Creek Police Department say they believe one person manufacturing hash oil using butane was responsible for the fire that left around 80 people displaced and charges are possible. According to the Battle Creek Enquirer, investigators found 19 empty butane cans, extracting tubes as well as marijuana.
Battle Creek's Fire Marshall said he believes the fire started on the second floor in the kitchen area of building 80. Detective's on the case have tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to interview the 50 year old tenant of the apartment where the fire began.
Detectives are reviewing the findings into the cause of the fire as well as the location where it started in an effort to have charges filed by the Calhoun County prosecutor.
The entire complex of Village Inn Apartment's was condemned following an inspection by the Battle Creek Fire Marshall and the City's Inspector. Those who resided in building 80 were unable to retrieve there belonging's due to unsafe conditions.