11 MI Hospitals Honored for Excellence & Improvement in Maternity Care
In 2017, the CDC said that Michigan is the 13th in the nation with the highest infant mortality rate and hospitals around the state are now being honored for their efforts in improving that.
The Economic Alliance for Michigan (EAM)'s Maternity Care Project was created in 2018
...to reduce the rate of unnecessary C-sections in the state, decrease infant mortality and reduce elective early deliveries.
Several West Michigan hospitals were among 9 total who were given the award in Excellence which had to fully meet the standards in cesarean rates, episiotomy rates, elective early delivery rates and maternity care processes.
- Bronson Hospital, Battle Creek
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
- Mercy Health Saint Mary’s, Grand Rapids
- Metro Health, Wyoming
- Munson Medical Center, Traverse City
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial, Fremont
- Spectrum Health Lakeland, St. Joseph
- Spectrum Health Pennock Hospital, Hastings
- Spectrum Health United Hospital, Greenville
Munson Grayling Hospital and Spectrum Health Lakeland in Niles were given the award for Improvement in those four categories.