First Presbyterian Renovations Unveiled This Sunday November 18th
Battle Creek's First Presbyterian Church turns 90 this Sunday, November 18th and the community is invited to see the renovations at the re-dedication celebration.
The ninety year old church sanctuary just underwent a four month renovation. The cost of this four-month restoration was almost ¼ of the amount it took to build the entire church! The congregation will celebrate it, exactly 90 years after the original Gothic structure was dedicated in 1928.
During the four month renovation, the ceilings and walls were repainted, pews were removed and refinished, new flooring was installed, instruments were tuned up and everything was polished.
Local painting contractor Thurston-Celardo rented a special “atrium lift on a contract crawler boom” to reach the 60’ ceilings and upper walls. The machine literally crawled up the front steps of the church and into the sanctuary where a painter entered its bucket and was lifted to the ceiling. Benno Woodwork of South Haven removed and refinished the main sanctuary pews to match the oak woodwork of the Chancel that was refinished in 2015. Church members put in the elbow grease to dust, sweep, polish and restock the pews. The final step was to carefully move the antique Hamlin Parlor Grand Piano and Skinner Organ and bring in professionals to tune them.
Architect A.B. Chanel designed the Norman Gothic structure in 1926 and was involved in remodeling projects for the next 40 years. Chanel also designed Kingman Museum, St. Phillip Roman Catholic Church and several other prominent residences and buildings in Battle Creek
Celebration Sunday will begin this Sunday with worship at 10:00a.m. in the reopened Sanctuary. There will be a piper and special music. Immediately following, there will be a celebration luncheon in the Fellowship Hall in the lower level of the church. Worship is always open and there is no charge for the lunch but the church does ask that those planning to attend the lunch, call the office at 269-964-3700.
First Presbyterian Church is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) established May 25, 1883. It is located at 111 Capital Avenue NE in Battle Creek, Michigan.