Michigan Ranked #1…of Everything
Thrillist, the website that loves to rank everything has come out with a definitive ranking of all 50 states and the mitten is the right fit.
Deciding to "go big or go home," Thrillist looked at each state's unique contributions to America: industry, innovation, inventions, natural beauty, famous people and a few other sometimes random factors and ranked all 50 states in the union. Michigan came out on top.
So, let's see, we've got Henry Ford, Pure Michigan, an incredible music scene, Vernors and Superman ice cream. Who can argue with that? Since this is the internet, plenty will. Let's look at what Thrillist had to say about us and our midwestern neighbors.
- "...the Florida of the north."
- "Hoosiers like to think of themselves as the living embodiment of a John Mellencamp song."
- Without Chicago, "Illinois would really be scraping bottom. Have you ever been to Rockford?"
- "Its people are generally too busy trying to stay warm to be rude to anyone."
- "Any state that loves beer enough to name its baseball team after it and loves sausage enough to make anthropomorphic versions of it race during said baseball team’s games has its priorities well established."
- Far too much of the Michigan narrative centers on Detroit and its many issues. The Motor City’s become a scrappily rising underdog you can’t help but root for, but Michigan’s greatest strengths lie in the state as a whole. Did you know Michigan has more coastline than any state other than Alaska? Did you know it has such an embarrassment of beer riches that you can easily hit Bell’s and Founders in the same afternoon? Did you know the UP is so remote and uniquely beautiful that it almost feels like a secret 51st state where they inexplicably love British meat pies? Did you know most residents are more than happy to apologize for Kid Rock? If you answered yes to at least three of these than you already understand Michigan’s charms. If you answered no to these questions, you should listen to the dulcet tones of Michigan tourism pitchman Tim Allen and get yourself there immediately.