Michigan’s Favorite Christmas Cookie Is…
If a BIG part of your Christmas experience is the cookies, this one is for you.
General Mills just figured out the most popular Christmas cookie in every state by analyzing all of the traffic to their three main recipe websites: BettyCrocker.com, Pillsbury.com, and Tablespoon.com.
And Michigan's favorite Christmas Cookie Is...
Easy Kolaczki Cookies!
They may not sound familiar, but check out this photo of some...you've had them before.
It's a Polish cookie of prunes or other dried fruit wrapped in a a delicious pastry dough.
The most popular cookies in the nation are Peanut Butter Blossoms, which won seven states. Sugar Cookie M&M Bars came in second, with five states.
Sugar Cookie Cutouts, Spritz Cookies, Italian Christmas Cookies, and Christmas Crinkle Cookies each won four states.
Here's a quick recipe for Kolaczki via PolishHouseWife:
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 3/4 cup dried apricots (or other dried fruit)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cream the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy
- Stir in flour and salt
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour
- Preheat oven to 350
- Roll out the dough by first dusting the surface (mat or counter top) with sugar
- Roll to 1/4 inch and cut into 2 inch squares
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square
- Fold over opposite corners and seal well
- Bake for 15 minute or until corners just begin to brown
- Cool and dust with powdered sugar
- Add apricots and water to a saucepan
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar
- Simmer until apricots are tender, about 15 minutes
- Mash or puree with immersion blender