Poisonous Caterpillars Have Been Found In Michigan
They look fuzzy and kind, but these caterpillars can cause you a lot of pain
Growing up, it was always a thrill to find a fuzzy caterpillar and let it crawl up your hand or on your arm. Now that thrill can be poisonous.
It's called a Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar and it has been found in mid-Michigan. It can leave you in pain with a bad rash. They are black and white and can really hurt you, with a barbed end at the tip of the hairs that allow the hairs to stick and stay in your skin.
Wilx.com reported that the State Poison Control Center says "it has seen 27 cases and most had skin rashes, but in some cases, the children tried to eat the insects". Kids don't eat the bug!
The good news is that if you do come into contact with the venomous caterpillar, you can treat the rash with medications from your local drug store. Of course, the best thing to do is avoid the littler bugger altogether.
Nature is dangerous now days.