What Michigan Residents Need to Know About The Dangerous ‘Can You Hear Me’ Scam
Scammers have found a new way to steal your identity. Here's what you need to know about the "Can You Hear Me" scam.
Consumerist has uncovered a new, dangerous scam that has telemarketers pulling their hair out.
How the scam works
- You receive a phone call from an unknown number. The number could have an area code close to where you live so you may not think it is a scam.
- The person on the other end asks, "Can you hear me?"
- When you instinctively say "Yes", your voice is recorded.
- The scammers use your recording when they use your stolen credit card number to buy something and the credit card company calls to confirm the purchase.
How to protect yourself
- If you get a call asking if you can hear the caller, hang up.
- Say anything but "Yes". "I can hear you" will work.