Battle Creek Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Victims Continue To Recover
A woman who was sent to the hospital after her makeshift home filled with carbon monoxide is now recovering.
The Battle Creek Enquirer reports that 41-year-old Sandee Confer is listed in fair condition at Spectrum Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, while her boyfriend, 44-year-old Harold Ward, remains critical. The two, along with Confer’s daughter 11-year-old Chloe Stevens, had been sleeping at a commercial building in Springfield a week ago, when a welfare check was conducted.
All three were found unconscious and rushed to the hospital, but the young girl was pronounced dead. At this time authorities believe that the group had been living at the location without power, and had been using a generator and kerosene heater. Calhoun County Sheriff Matt Saxton tells 95.3 WBCK that it’s believed that the generator caused the building to fill with deadly carbon monoxide gas.
Calhoun County Family Court records show that Confer had been ordered to find better housing during a hearing February 6.