Former Battle Creek Man Sentenced To Time Served In Child’s Death Due To Carbon Monoxide
A man who used to live in Battle Creek was sentenced in the death of an 11-year-old girl that was caused by carbon monoxide.
The Battle Creek Enquirer reports 46-year-old Harold Ward of Marine City was sentenced to 31 days already served in the case. He had potentially faced up to 15 years in prison in the 2017 death of Chloe Stevens, the daughter of his girlfriend. He had initially been charged with involuntary manslaughter and second-degree child abuse, but in a deal with prosecutors Ward pleaded no contest to fourth degree child abuse.
Stevens, along with Ward and his girlfriend Sandee Confer were all found unconscious at a commercial property in Springfield where they were living. Since the building did not have electricity, Ward had been using a kerosene heater for warmth. That led to the three being overcome with carbon monoxide and to Chloe’s death.
In the aftermath of the tragedy, Calhoun County Sheriff Matt Saxton told 95.3 WBCK that fumes from a gasoline generator and potentially the heater itself had led to the carbon monoxide. Both Ward and Confer had been hospitalized for several days after the incident.