Roofsit for the Homeless Shelter is Friday and Saturday
Ten years ago, during a meeting at the Battle Creek Radio Stations on Golden Avenue, the staff were talking about the next project to do for the community. It was Kelley Parish, morning show personality on 104.9FM came up with the idea: “Let’s do a roof sit to raise money for the homeless shelter.” A decade later, and more than $300,000, we’re still at it!
This Friday, June 24th, the WBCK Morning Show with Richard Piet, Tim Collins, and Nico Berrios will take to the airwaves live from the roof of Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders, in front of the Meijer on West Columbia. Since this is the Haven of Rest’s 60th anniversary of helping people in Battle Creek, the goal has been set at $60,000.
Piet, Collins, and Parish will be doing reports all day on Friday and Saturday, encouraging people to phone in at 441-0075. Volunteers from Elwell Salon and Red Line Volleyball will be on the roof answering phones.
Cassie from 104.9 the Edge will also be on the roof, along with WBCK's "Renk", and many community leaders.
“We’ve done the Roofsit at five different locations“, said Tim Collins, Operations Manager at Townsquare Media. “We started at the Haven of Rest downtown, an even did it on top of a Behnke semi-trailer one year. This year we’re really happy to be back on the building in front of the Meijer on West Columbia. It used to be ‘Your Local Yarn Shop’ but now Dan and Kelly Frever have renovated it and moved their ‘Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders’ there. They’re hometown business people and immediately got behind the event.”
Inasmuch House serves women and one or two parent families with children who are experiencing the crisis of homelessness, providing emergency shelter, meals and services to help families get back on their feet and back into permanent housing. The Inasmuch House last year served over 450 men, women and children in our community, and expects to have a similar number this year. Services are provided through Inasmuch and the Haven of Rest in a Christian, Faith-based atmosphere to any and all with a need in our community.
Pray for good weather!
- Who: 95.3 WBCK, 104.9 The Edge, Inasmuch House Volunteers, and Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders.
- What: Raising $60,000 during the 10th Annual Roofsit to Benefit the Haven of Rest’s Inasmuch House.
- When: June 24th and 25th from 6am-7pm each day
- Where: Up on the Roof at Mancinos Pizza & Grinders, 2171 West Columbia; Dan and Kelly Frever own the store.
- Why: Inasmuch House is Calhoun County’s only shelter for homeless families.
- How: Call 441-0075 to donate, or you can drop a donation in the bright green buckets at one of more than a dozen volunteer brigade locations around town. Or donate on line using Paypal by clicking here.
Other related activities and events:
- The Men’s Life Recovery Program Car Wash is Friday and Saturday from 9am to 5pm at the Haven of Rest, 148 East Michigan across from the Justice Center. It’s only $5 for wash and an inside-the-car vacuum and detail - the best deal in town!
- Daniel Jones, Haven of Rest Fund Development Coordinator, will be throwing out the first pitch at Friday’s Battle Creek Bomber’s game.
- Hot dogs are being grilled outside the Sam’s Club Entrance on Beckley Road, from 11am to 5pm, with proceeds going to the Roofsit.
- Car Wash and Bake Sale at St. Mark’s Lutheran, 114 E Minges Road, Battle Creek on Saturday from 10am-2pm.
- The attack basketball team will man the corner of Capital and Columbia on Friday and Saturday.
- 15 year old Blues Guitarist Jake Kershaw will be performing his “Bucket Brigade Blues”.
- WBCK’s Bob Coward will host the Garden Show live from the Roof.
- Battle Creek Coyotes will be out Friday at 4:30pm.
- Battle Creek Bombers will be out late Friday morning.
- Find the Pink shirt game. If you find the person with the pink roofsit shirt at St. Mark’s Lutheran on Saturday, and give the password “Happy 10th Anniversary”, you could win a special prize.
For more info and photos, check out the Roofsit 2016 Facebook page.