Annual Keeping YOU Informed Town Hall Set For May 14
Commissioner Lynn Ward Gray will host her annual Keeping YOU Informed Town Hall Meeting titled, The City Budget Made Simple on Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at City Hall, 10 N. Division Street, in City Commission Chambers on the 3rd floor.
Commissioner Gray stated, “after the City of Battle Creek’s mid-year budget adjustment many questions were posed to city leadership about why that happened and how we manage our finances, thus the topic for this year’s town hall. We wanted to demystify “the peoples checkbook” so to speak, by pointing out the various accounts, and how money comes into and out of those accounts with an emphasis on…simple!”
To take us through the City of Battle Creek budget, guest panelists include:
• Rebecca Fleury, City Manager, City of Battle Creek
• Linda Morrison, Finance Director, City of Battle Creek
This will be a fun and interactive Town Hall, using technology to poll the audience on the common questions we have received plus others. For instance, how many of these questions have you pondered:
• Do the police and fire departments generate revenue?
• Why did the city build a new police station with a shortfall in our budget?
• Where does the revenue for traffic tickets and parking tickets go?
• Property taxes make up 100% of the city’s general fund budget, correct?
• What fund covers City of Battle Creek expenses?
This event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. Free resource materials will be available. This event will be videotaped for later broadcast on AccessVision’s Keeping YOU Informed with Commissioner Lynn Ward Gray.