B.C. Blanket Drive For 2018 Homeless Health Fair & VA Stand Down
A community-wide collection has begun for blankets, to be distributed to attendees of the 2018 Homeless Health Fair and VA Stand Down, set for Friday, October 19. The blanket drive will take place through Wednesday, October 17.
The health fair features free flu shots; Hepatitis A vaccines; health care screenings; free haircuts; and giveaways of needed items, like socks, toiletries, and blankets. All attendees will receive a bag of groceries as well as breakfast and lunch.
The event is organized by the Calhoun County Homeless Coalition, comprised of about 20 community organizations, including the City of Battle Creek. It is hosted for the fourth year at Full Blast, 35 Hamblin Ave. More than 500 homeless and formerly homeless neighbors are expected to attend the event, set for 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
A VA Stand Down opening ceremony will precede the event outside at 8:30 a.m., with a presentation of the colors by the 110th Attack Wing of the Michigan Air National Guard, and singing of the national anthem.
Blanket drop-off locations are:
- MichiganWorks! Southwest Calhoun County locations
- 200 W. Van Buren St., Battle Creek; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Ludington Center, 101 N. Superior St., Albion; 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Lakeview True Value Hardware; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday; 660 Capital Ave. SW, Battle Creek
- Minges Creek Athletic Club; 5:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday; 21 Minges Creek Place, Battle Creek
Contact Haven of Rest Ministries with questions, at 269-788-0984.