Second Fire In Three Weeks At Downtown Battle Creek Factory
Update: According to the City of Battle Creek Fire Department, crews went to the interior to fight a fire that started from a ball bearing from a motor on a machine that malfunctioned. The fire spread to surrounding items and caught the ceiling on fire. Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and there were no injuries. The cause of the fire is listed as "Machine Malfunction" and the damages are described as isolated to the machine, surrounding items and a small portion of the ceiling.
For the second time in three weeks, a fire has occurred at at Graphic Packaging. Just before 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Battle Creek firefighters were called to 79 East Fountain Street at the intersection of Dickman Road.
Shortly after arriving, officials evacuated the building. Firefighters described the fire as heavy and spreading to the roof, according to Calhoun County Emergency Network.
On Saturday, March 23rd, the Battle Creek Fire Department was called to Graphic Packaging. That blaze happened just before 8:00 a.m. Saturday at the downtown manufacturing plant. When the numerous engines arrived, they were directed to an area on the second floor where a fire had ignited inside two bales of shredded paper. The fire was safely extinguished but officials deemed it suspicious. At last report, it was under investigation by the B.C.F.D., according to WWMT.
There are no reports that two incidents are connected. We will update as more information becomes available.