Freeport Residents Warned Not To Contact Water After Contamination
Authorities in a small Barry County village are urging residents to not even come in contact with their water, after a problem during a commercial fire caused dangerous contaminants to enter the system.
MLive reports that the incident happened around 6pm Friday, where firefighters in Freeport were fighting a blaze at Ketchum Machine. A bad valve on a fire truck caused some fire retardant foam to leach back into the water system via a fire hydrant. The Department of Environmental Quality was notified, and according to the village’s website residents remain under a boil water advisory with a no-contact order until further notice.
It’s not known how long it will take before the system is considered safe.